Purpose and Mission
Why do we need an End-of-Life Service?
- Humankind has recognized the need for ritual since the beginning of civilization. Closure of a person’s life on this earth is essential for our own well-being. Not having proper closure or a farewell ceremony usually leaves us with a sense of unfinished business. Any incompleteness in honoring a life usually takes a much longer time for loved ones to heal.
- We all need space and permission to express grief at losing a loved one. We need a safe environment to tell our story of how we were loved and how we have been loved by someone who has passed. We need to recall with others how the deceased contributed to making this a better world.
- Whether we want to admit it or not, we all need to feel the support of community. We are not in this alone. We are all connected to one another.
- Telling humorous stories about the deceased allows us to unite in our humanity, to balance the sadness of our loss with an emotional release, and to share the reality of the simple things in life.
- A life lived needs to not only be recognized, remembered, and honored, but their life also needs to be celebrated. A carefully planned service is a celebration when we recognize all the good that has come about because of that person.
- A person’s life that may have ended tragically is heartbreaking. An effective memorial can be a time for their loved ones to heal from the unexplainable experience.